Monday, September 16, 2013

Shadow character art process

Lately I've been working on a pitch about a girl and her shadow, and the mystery behind them. At the moment I'm working on an illustration for the story and wanted to share it, and a bit of the process behind it.

It started out as a sketchbook sketch, I ended up inking it and liked it, I wanted to use this is as the prototype for the image.
I hadn't started thinking this was gonna be such a large image so there's a ton of errors here, and a lack of space due to the size of my sketchbook.

I ended up cleaning up the images, fixing some stuff and of course adding feet. I got as far as flatting before I realized this was a bad idea, but I had wasted so much time already...
This goes to show that it doesn't matter how many times you re-draw a thing, if it needs to be re-drawn it needs to be re-drawn no matter how frustrating it may seem.

SO MUCH BETTER! I'd redraw it again if I thought it needed it, and if you're working on something and feel the same way, you should too!

And we're getting there! I'm still working on it but I'm happy with it so far.
Looking forward to sharing the final image and comic page process too! So check back soon!



No comments: